3 informal terms for money [syn: boodle, bread, cabbage, clams, dinero, dough, gelt, kale, lettuce, lolly, lucre, loot, moolah, pelf, shekels, simoleons, sugar, wampum]
4 dry mash for poultry [syn: chicken feed]
5 a harsh noise made by scraping; "the scrape of violin bows distracted her" [syn: scrape, scraping, scratching]
- , /skrætʃ/, /skr
Scratch may refer to:
- Scratching is a response caused by an itch
- Scratches is a bacterial infection found in horses, also known as mud fever
- Scratching, the technique of playing dampened strings on the guitar
- A scratch is the accidental act of knocking the cue ball into a hole in billiards.
- On scratch is the term used in handicap competitions for a player with no handicap or the maximum handicap (depending on the way the handicap is rendered), thus having to perform better than every other competitor to win
- Scratching, the technique of moving a vinyl record back and forth with your hand while it is playing on a turntable
- Scratch (magazine) is a Hip-Hop magazine.
- Scratch is slang for money.
- Scratching is a recent variation of graffiti in which tags are scratched into windows, usually of public transportation vehicles and street furniture.
- Scratch (hacker jargon), in hacker jargon, a data structure or recording medium attached to a machine for testing or temporary-use purposes
- Scratch (programming language), a visual programming language
- Scratch (television), a term used in television's Nielsen Ratings system for a program which registers below a certain number a viewers and cannot be measured by the ratings provider due to the show being under the provider's sampling size
- Scratch Orchestra, an orchestra founded by Cornelius Cardew
- "Scratch", the nickname of influential Jamaican recording artist Lee "Scratch" Perry
- Scratch (album), an album released by Kaela Kimura
- Scratches (game), a mystery adventure computer game by Nucleosys
- Scratch (film), a documentary film about disc jockeys and hip hop culture
- Scratch (soundtrack), the soundtrack to the Scratch (film)
- Scratch and Grounder, fictional robots who appeared in the TV show Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and the game Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine that was based on the TV show.
- Scratch (play), a 1971 stage play by Archibald MacLeish
- "Old Scratch", a colloquialism for the devil, as indicated by the name of the character in the Stephen Vincent Benét short story, "The Devil and Daniel Webster"
- Scratch Addict, a hard rock metal band from Baltimore/Washington DC. Using "Scratch" as a reference to "Old Scratch" or the devil.
- "Scratch," a song by Morphine from their 1995 album Yes
- Scratch is one of the nicknames for the Brazilian national sports teams (as the Brazil national football team).
- Scratch (musician) is a DJ and former member of the Roots.
- Scratchcard, a token where information is revealed by scratching off an opaque substance.
- Scratch, a color grading software developed by Assimilate
scratch in Danish: Scratch
scratch in German: Scratch
scratch in French: Scratch
scratch in Dutch: Scratch
scratch in Japanese: スクラッチ
scratch in Polish: Scratch
scratch in Russian: Почёсывание
ablation, abort, abrade, abrasion, abrasive, adequate, anamorphosis, attrition, autolithograph, bad likeness, barbouillage, bark, barley, be a printmaker, belch, bezel, bird seed, birthmark, blackhead, blare, blat, blaze, blaze a trail, bleb, blemish, blister, bloody, blot, blot out, blotch, bore, botch, bran, brand, bray, bread, break, bruise, buffing, bulla, burlesque, burn, burnishing, burr, burrow, buzz, cackle, canal, canalize, cancel, caricature, cartoon, carve, cash, caste mark, casual, cat food, caw, cease, chafe, chafing, chalk, chalk up, chamfer, channel, character, charcoal, chase, check, check off, checkmark, chicken feed, chink, chip, chips, chirr, chisel, chiseling, chop, cicatrix, cicatrize, clang, clangor, clank, clash, claw, close, coin, color, comedo, competent, competitive, conclude, concussion, copy, corn, corrugate, corrugation, crack, crackle, cranny, crater, craunch, crayon, craze, crease, cribble, croak, cross out, cross-hatching, crosshatch, crump, crunch, cursoriness, cut, dado, damage, dapple, dash, dash off, daub, defacement, defect, define, deformation, deformity, dele, delete, delimit, delineate, delve, demarcate, demitint, depict, design, determine, detrition, diagram, dig, dig out, dike, discolor, discoloration, disfiguration, disfigurement, distortion, ditch, do double duty, dog food, doodle, dot, dough, draft, draw, dredge, dressing, drill, drive, earmark, eatage, efface, eliminate, elucubrate, enchase, end, engrave, engravement, engraving, ensilage, epidermis, erase, erasure, erosion, etch, etching, excavate, exclude, expunge, extempore, exteriority, fault, feed, filing, finish, finish up, flash burn, flaw, fleck, flick, flute, fluting, fodder, forage, fracture, fray, frazzle, freckle, fret, fretting, furrow, gall, galling, gash, gem-engraving, glass-cutting, gloss, glyptic, goffer, good enough, gouge, gouge out, grain, grate, grave, graving, graze, grazing, greenbacks, grind, grinding, groan, groove, growl, grub, grumble, gully, hack, half tint, haphazard, hasty, hatch, hatching, hay, hemangioma, hen scratches, hen tracks, hickey, hit the ball, hurried, hurt, hustle, impress, imprint, impromptu, incise, incision, informal, injure, injury, inscribe, inscript, inscription, itch, jack, jangle, jar, jot, keloid, kink, lacerate, laceration, lentigo, lesion, limation, limn, line, lining, lithograph, lower, lucubrate, macula, maim, make a mark, make mincemeat of, make prints, makeshift, mar, mark, mark off, mark out, marking, mash, maul, mazuma, meal, mere scratch, microgroove, milium, mine, misdraw, mispaint, mole, mortal wound, mottle, mutilate, mutilation, needle scar, nevus, nick, no depth, no water, notch, oats, obliterate, off the cuff, overwork, paint, paint a picture, parody, pasturage, pasture, patch, pattes de mouche, pencil, pepper, perorate, pet food, picture, picturize, pierce, pimple, pinprick, pit, pleat, plow, pock, pockmark, point, polishing, polka dot, port-wine mark, port-wine stain, portray, pothookery, pothooks, pothooks and hangers, pour it on, prick, prickle, print, provender, punch, punctuate, puncture, pustule, quarry, rabbet, rasp, rasping, raze, rend, rent, resolve, riddle, rifle, rifling, rift, rind, rip, rough, rub, rub off, rub out, rubbing away, ruck, rule out, run, rupture, rut, sandblasting, sanding, sap, satisfactory, savage, scab, scald, scar, scarification, scarify, scoop, scoop out, scorch, score, scoring, scotch, scouring, scrabble, scranch, scrap, scrape, scraping, scratch feed, scratch out, scratching, scrawl, scribble, scribbling, scrub, scrubbing, scrunch, scuff, sculpture, scumble, seal, seam, sebaceous cyst, second-degree burn, shade, shallowness, shining, shoaliness, shovel, silage, sink, sketch, skin, slash, slashing, slave, slightness, slit, slops, smoothing, snarl, snore, sore, spade, speck, speckle, splash, split, splotch, sponge, sponge out, spot, sprain, stab, stab wound, stain, stamp, stencil, stick, stigma, stigmatize, sting, stipple, stippling, stop, strain, straw, strawberry mark, streak, stria, striate, striation, strike off, strike out, stripe, sty, sufficient, sulcation, sulcus, superficiality, superficies, surface, sweat, swill, tattoo, tattoo mark, tear, terminate, third-degree burn, thrill, tick, tick off, tingle, tint, tittle, tool, tooling, trace, track, trauma, traumatize, travesty, trench, triviality, trough, tunnel, twang, twist, type-cutting, underline, underscore, unplanned, unpremeditated, unprepared, up to scratch, up to snuff, veneer, verruca, vesicle, wale, wampum, warp, wart, watermark, weal, wear, wearing away, well-worn groove, welt, wen, wheat, whitehead, wind up, wipe out, work hard, work late, work overtime, wound, wounds immedicable, wrench, wrinkle